Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Jacksmithing



Last week I went looking for a blacksmith that could custom make a shower curtain rod for our bath tub shower we were installing. We have a corner tub and there are no curtain rods made for it. My wife had a concept she wanted made. I did find a black smith, he estimated around $700 to make it. A bit more than we had in mind, we might of paid $200. So I stepped out the door mumbling to my self"how hard can it be to bend some metal and weld it together".
So I went down to Metal by the Foot and bought the stainless flat bar for the project. In 2 hours had the pieces cut and bent into the shape my wife wanted and ready for polishing. I spent part of the next day with my little orbital sander and some sand paper polishing it. Then the next day it was to a welder and more polishing with a rotary sander attachment on my drill and here you see the results.

My wife loves it, she thinks it is perfect. I'm not going to point out the minor flaws because I rather proud of it my own self. One problem though, It adds to her belief that any thing she can dream up I can make. I wonder what is next.

Jack

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You need to call it "Jacksmithing" though.

dog

Jack said...

Love it
I will change the title.

Anonymous said...

Wow -- Jack, you've outdone yourself.

Anonymous said...

Jack,
Great work!

What a comfort it must be to your wife that any thing she can dream up you can make. LOL. I expect no less from my husband.

Take Care. Chloe