Friday, August 8, 2008

Food for the palate and flowers for the eye.


I love okra in the summer time and it is so easy to grow. All it needs is a sunny location and 90 degree weather. Several years ago, before my wife and I got married, I lived in a house that had a very tiny yard, 15' X 30', and all of it in front of the house. I planted tomatoes and Okra along the front fence next to the sidewalk.. I also, crowded in several flower beds in the yard. One day a woman walked up the sidewalk and paused looking at the okra. I expected her to say something about okra the food. But instead she ask me "What is that beautiful flower" and pointed to the okra. The Okra flower is a thing of beauty, a cone about 1.5 to 2 inches across, but it comes off of the stem at the base of a very wide leaf that often hides the beauty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...the Master concerns himself
with the depths and not the surface,
with the fruit and not the flower.
He has no will of his own.
He dwells in reality,
and lets all illusions go.