Several years ago I worked as a volunteer community organizer in the neighborhood I live in. I created and developed a community organizing tool call "Beautiful Neighborhoods Initiative. It was a gardening approach to community developement. We passed out fall mums and then fall bulbs. I got over 50% participation. My goal was 25% and I had skeptics tell me I couldn't reach my goal.
Out of this program, a group of Mexican immigrants decided to clean up an abandoned lot on their block to make it a pocketpark. If I can find a before picture I will post it. It was a lot that was a dumping ground for trash and tires. Sometimes the city would mow it but most years it was head high with weeds. It was an eyesore and made the whole block look bad.
Here is what it looks like now, 8 years later these folks have maintained it and now are using it as a park, I drove by last night and took this picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment